Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Grateful Heart - My Little Man

"When a person doesn’t have gratitude, something is missing in his or her humanity. A person can almost be defined by his or her attitude toward gratitude." — Elie Wiesel


And then came Andrew.... and my heart grew some more....

Writing about Andrew today is fun for me because I am just, kind of, obsessed with the kid right now. To me he is at an incredibly adorable age. His cute expressions, his sweet hugs and his funny conversations just melt my heart. When I think about being happy, I picture those moments when I am watching my kids play and I am laughing. If laughing counts for anything.... then I am supremely grateful for Andrew because he makes me laugh many many times a day. He has the cutest habit lately of putting his face right up to mine so our noses are touching. This is what he does when he wants to tell me something really, really important. And oh... I love Andrew's really important information. (i.e. Dinosaur ate horse and tiger and zebra ran away and hid and Dinosaur was sad.)
My favorite thing about Andrew right now, though, is his simplicity. His needs are not complicated. I have it within my power to kiss better every owie and soothe nearly all his troubles away. "I want Mommy" are words that I have mixed feelings about. I'm normal... I don't like to hear those words at 3 in the morning any more than you do.... but I have to admit that feeling needed and knowing that only I can fill that need.... well.... I like it. I think everyone needs to be needed. Andrew needs me..... I am his world ..... and for now... I kind of like it that way.
So today.... I'm very grateful for my baby... (who by the way is extremely offended at being called a baby... but sometimes I still like to think it.....)

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

I can relate to this a lot because Isabel isn't too far behind in age. I have often thought that I am so glad I'm not the dad because I would hate it if my kids always wanted the other parent over me!

Brandi Schall said...

Andrew is such a sweetie. I have always wanted a boy but never more so than now after meeting and getting to know Andrew and Kalleen's Grayson. I seriously hope someday I can have a little boy like Andrew.

Anonymous said...

I love that age as well. He is a cutie!

melanie33 said...

lol, they are your baby until you have another baby... at least that is how I operate. The other day I asked Jonas (my oldest) if he knew where the baby was. (which would be caleb my almost 3 year old). to which he replied, "mom there is no baby; only a toddler."
I informed him that he will be a baby until I deem him no longer a baby. We'll see if he appreciates that at 19.

Anonymous said...

Wow all I can say is that you are a great writer! Where can I contact you if I want to hire you?