Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Grateful Heart - Music


"Gratitude is the beginning of wisdom. Stated differently, true wisdom cannot be obtained unless it is built on a foundation of true humility and gratitude." — Gordon B. Hinckley


I've recently started teaching piano lessons and the experience has brought back to memory my love for music.

Is it just me... or does music call back memories more powerfully than anything else? I have certain songs that I subconsciously link with different people and different times of my life. Barry Manilow will always remind me of my friend Tawni. I never hear a Beatles song without remembering my friend Alex. There is a Colors song called "The Reggae Song" that I first heard while driving home from Park City with my sister. That's when I decided that song was going on my wedding video. And it did. I have a certain song I listen to when I am sad ("I Wish It Would Rain") and a song I listen to when I feel happy ("Thank You Lord"). Finding a song that perfectly matches my mood is so awesome. I also have songs that bring back strong spiritual feelings. Songs that remind me about what is really important. There are times when for whatever reason I feel grumpy, discouraged, argumentative or stressed (I know.... can you believe it?) I have found that almost nothing works better than music to turn around the entire mood of the house. Not just me... but I really believe my children's mood can be lifted with music as well. One author wrote "The only proof [I need] for the existence of God [is] music." There really is something eternal.... a force beyond this world when it comes to good music. So here's to good music that has lifted all of our lives at some time or another.

4 comments:

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

All things considered I'm doing just fine, even though you left a hole the sizeofTexasdeepinsideofmyheart.

Brandi Schall said...

I forget about the music mood connection all the time, and I shouldn't! Last week I actually remembered-- was having a hard day and didn't want to make dinner and the girls were crazy (of course) I flipped on the radio to the Christmas music station--I couldn't believe the change of mood with all of us. Thanks for reminding me again to remember the power of music.

melanie33 said...

and here's to girl's camp where we did nothing but sing good music, right?

StephNyd said...

I love all these posts about being grateful. Thanks for sharing all of this and I hope you have a great Thanksgiving and eat lots and lots and lots.....because I certainly will stuff myself. I can smell all the good food right now! :)