I'm sure many of you have seen these 100 things list. I hope this isn't breaking any blogging rules, but my list is made up of 100 things I've learned this year.
1. I love to blog
2. George Washington only had 1 tooth left when he took the oath as the first president of the US.
3. When working a normal job (9-5) Aaron CAN and DOES do the dishes often.
4. There is no better vacation for kids than to the beach.
5. There is no doubt that Washington, Jefferson and other founding fathers were guided by the hand of God.
6. George Washington freed his slaves in his will.
7. These is My Words is a wonderful book.
8. Watching your kids learn to play together is very fulfilling.
9. Many of our past presidents have been war hero's.
10. Often what you feel..is more important than what you know.
11. One of the US presidents was married in the white house.
12. Customer service in the East really is lacking.
13. Koi fish are cool.
14. You can ride an elevator to the top of the Old Post Office in Washington DC and see over the whole city.
15. The white house has it's own theater and a bowling alley.
16. You really don't need as much stuff as you think you do.
17. No matter where you live...there are kindred spirits to be found.
18. Even though it's cold and annoying...I like snow.
19. The Gettysburg Address was about 2 minutes long.
20. Getting Lizzy to wear pants is nearly impossible.
21. The oldest soldier at Gettysburg was John Burns, over 70 years old.
22. The chinese art of Penjing is fascinating and beautiful.
23. Utah really is a desert.
24. People in the East are not really less friendly, they just don't smile at strangers.
25. The hope diamond is just over 45 carats.
26. My kids won't stick their hands inside a pumpkin.
27. A tired kid can fall asleep almost anywhere.
28. Thanksgiving dinner doesn't have to be turkey and potatoes.
29. During the month of December there is a different performance every single night at the Washington DC temple.
30. Chris Brewer sits out front and greets every single visitor throughout that month.
31. George Washington was a successful fisherman and agriculturist.
32. I love being a Mom.
34. Kids grow up too fast.
35. The monuments are beautiful at night.
36. The variety of frog colors is astounding.
37. There was 1 civilian death during the battle of Gettysburg.
38. Your kids can love make believe characters almost as much as they love their mother.
39. Riding the Metro is not as hard or scary as it seems at first.
40. Wives of successful men make enormous sacrifices.
41. The bricks of the Washington Monument change color about 1/3 of the way up because the builders ran out of funds and it sat there for many years.
42. It is now the law that a monument project cannot be started until all of the funding is received.
43. Aaron looks good with a goatee.
44. George Washington resigned his position as army general at the capitol building in Annapolis, MD.
45. The sting rays are my favorite thing at the National Zoo.
46. There is a reverent feeling at the Lincoln Memorial.
47. Seeing relics of history is so much better than reading about it.
48. There are portraits of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young at the National Portrait Gallery.
49. If you lose your drivers license ...it takes several months to get a new one through the mail.
50. There are remarkable people in Bethesda, Maryland.
51. Every year there is a kite flying festival on the mall and it is awesome.
52. In the original story of the Wizard of Oz, Dorothy's shoes were silver.
53. There is something warm and cozy about Christmas in a cabin.
33. My kids don't need as many toys as I think they do.
54. If you ride the metro on the 4th of July you are crazy.
55. It is worth it to ride the metro to see fireworks on the fourth of July at the NATIONS Capital.
56. The national zoo has a giant pizza kids can play on.
57. George Washington had very bright colored rooms in his home. It was a sign of wealth at the time.
58. It is exciting to see your kid learn to read.
59. More than 50,000 men died in 3 days of battle at Gettysburg.
60. I am so grateful to those men.
61. The LDS church is growing all over the world and it is very exciting.
62. Flying with 2 young kids is so NOT fun.
63. Gas can get up to $4.00 a gallon.
64. Costco's in Maryland don't open until 11:00 in the morning.
65. Toothpaste can get pen off of walls, but it takes a really long time.
66. I can't live without a dishwasher.
67. Franklin D. Roosevelt died while in office.
68. The cherry blossoms in the spring are BEAUTIFUL.
69. U.S. Presidents used to write their own speeches.
70. Roosevelt Island is a great place for a picnic.
71. Keeping a gratitude journal is LIFE CHANGING.
72. Learning about new cultures is exciting.
73. I can make a pie.
74. I want for me and my kids to spend more time in nature.
75. I love President Hinckley.
76. The humidity makes the heat 100 times worse.
77. There is an huge art gallery in Alexandria, VA that used to be a torpedo factory.
78. I am fascinated by the masons.
79. You can make a book out of your blog.
80. You can see wild horses at Assateague Island.
81. The internet is an awesome invention.
82. Cable TV is a time sucker.
83. You can see Jerry Seinfelds puffy shirt, a sunstone from the Nauvoo temple, Mr. Rogers sweater and Lincoln's top hat at the American History Museum.
84. Franklin D. Roosevelt was in a wheelchair most of his life.
85. Goodreads.com is a great way to keep track of my books
84. Positive parenting is so much more effective.
85. There are no billboards on the side of the freeway in Maryland.
86. Aaron is really really smart.
87. You shouldn't leave your cellphone on top of your car.
88. Weather changes very quickly in the East.
89. Robert E. Lee's home is now a part of Arlington Cemetary.
90. Engraved on the ring that Lincoln gave to Mary Todd when he proposed are the words "Love is Eternal"
91. I want to travel.
92. It feels great to sit in a hot tub in freezing cold weather.
93. Lizzy and Andrew both love spaghetti and don't care for broccoli.
94. Super Why is a great cartoon.
95. Packages from family are the BEST!!
96. I am addicted to chocolate.
97. The Potomac is beautiful.
98. I love the East.
99. I can't think of anything else to say.
100. Every state has a wreath as part of the WWII monument.
101. Cars have something called a knock sensor and it CAN break and repairing it is not cheap.
102. Both kids in nursery (or primary) is so awesome.
103. Laura Bush is a chain smoker.(not to be gossipy.. I was just so surprised)
104. Andrew calls me Mum Mum.
105. In the Capitol Building are 2 statues from each state. Utah is represented by Brigham Young and the guy that invented TV (Philo Farnsworth).
106. A great time to read scriptures with my kids is in the morning while they are eating breakfast. (They tend to sit still a little longer).
107. I'm going to bed now.
5 comments:
There is something about moving and being places for specific amounts of time that helps us identify the things we've learned. I love your list!
Love reading your list, and I am sure you will come back to it from time to time, and add something else....especially when you're back 'home' to your comfort spot, you realize and remember how great some of these things are... Sweet memories.
That was really fun to read. I identified with so many. I especially agree with the cable t.v. So much so that we actually got rid of it!
I loved reading your list...I learned a ton! Such a cute way of doing it! You are such a great example to me, I love reading your posts...so keep up the great work!
Rachelle - I love your list. It cracked me up, and was very touching at the same time. I know its late to tell you this...but I used to think Costco opened at 11 too...but it really opens at 10...the website says something like "for gold members it opens at 10" - but really it opens for everyone at that time. Sorry to give you that info so late. I've learned a lot of the same things as you - but there were too many to list (things like that Utah REALLY is a desert.) We already miss you guys. I hope you have a safe trip home.
Post a Comment