The sawmill.
The last stop in Kirtland was the Kirtland temple, now owned by the Community of Christ church. Anyway it was really interesting. These bright green doors were kind of a surprise to me. It was beautiful though and remarkable to think about how much they sacrificed in order to build a temple.
The other church history site we visited was Winter Quarters in Omaha, Nebraska. This is where the pioneers were camped for sometime during the trek across the country. There was great sickness throughout these camps and many, many died. I wish we'd had time to go up to the cemetary as well, but we had to get back on the road. I feel really grateful to the pioneers who made such sacrifices for their faith. It causes me to consider how dedicated I am and how much I'd be willing to sacrifice for my faith.
Thanks to the generosity of our good friends Heather and Scott (well their parent's generosity as well) we were also able to stay in Iowa one night in a real live house instead of a hotel. (Thank you guys!) It was so sad to see the enormous damage from the flooding across Iowa only a few days earlier. An RV floating in the water off the side of the freeway was kind of a "wow" moment for Aaron and I because we have never really seen flooding like that. We tried to run to a grocery store that evening only to find it's parking lot an absolute pool of water.
As for the rest of the trip, I was very grateful for a few little games and toys. My mother-in-law sent a game called Rubberneckers Jr. which was a lifesaver. We also had a great time with glow-sticks, books, toy cars and stickers. Lizzy was into "decorating" her side of the car as illustrated in this picture.
My boys all snuggled up.
The kids really did great and I was proud of them. After so many hours together in the car I was afraid they'd never want to see each other again, but thankfully this is them only a few hours after our arrival at Grandma's house. (Sigh of relief) I'm so glad they still like each other.
4 comments:
I'm so glad you guys got to visit both these places! I loved them both- especially Winter Quarters. It was one of my favorite spots we visited with my Semester at Nauvoo. Such amazing sacrifice represented there. Glad the kids did well on the trip- you guys can handle anything now! :)
Welcome back!!! Like Tawni said...now that you have traveled cross country, not once-but twice, you can handle ANYTHING! And how neat that you were able to visit all those amazing places! I have been dying to go back to Nauvoo for 2 reasons. The first one is obvious. The second is because there is the best ice cream in the world in a little shop across the street from the Newell K. Whitney store that I have been craving for YEARS! So darn good! I am glad you arrived safe and sound. Best of luck in settling back in!
Welcome home! It really is sad we didn't ever see each other. We are coming to Utah at the end of August though, maybe we can work something out then.
Minus the extreme driving the pit stops were great. Nauvoo! Love the pics. I hope your kids will remember! (Maybe Lizzy?)
Post a Comment