Sunday, June 8, 2008

Top 10 Reasons my Dad is Awesome


10. My Dad can fix ANYTHING. I'm serious. I can call him about our car, plumbing, computer or anything else and he can tell us what to do (or more often...he'll come and do it for us).


9. My Dad works hard. Last year my Dad graduated from a business management program offered through his work. It is the equivalent of a masters degree. He attended a few weeks of intense courses in Seattle and then did the work and papers through internet correspondence. It was extremely difficult and for awhile he thought he simply wasn't qualified enough. He persevered, however, and not only completed the work, but graduated top in his class. He works hard in everything that he does.

8. My Dad is the most humble person I know. Good thing my Mom told us about his graduation or I never would have known.

7. My Dad is so dang goofy. He does things like wash his eyeball in his mouth and really bad impressions just to make us kids laugh.

6. My Dad is a good listener. He listens much more than he talks which I'm afraid he didn't pass on to me. But I'm grateful for his willingness to always listen to me.


5. My Dad is entirely unmaterialistic. He really truly doesn't care about "things". Every year we rack our brains trying to think of something to give him for birthdays and such. He always just says "I want my kids to be good". Although we usually roll our eyes and ask for a "real" suggestion....the truth is...it is what he really wants the most and material possessions mean nothing.

4. My Dad often wears his white buttoned Sunday shirt tucked into a pair of sweat pants. Gotta love it.

3. My Dad is very gentle and kind.

2. My Dad serves other people all the time. He is always the first person there when it sounds like someone needs help. Our family often remembers the story about my Dad upon hearing that Sister Taylors water broke...he was there lickity split with a shovel in hand planning on fixing some water pipes. He was embarassed when he learned that she was actually at the hospital.... giving birth.

1. My Dad did my taxes for me AGAIN this year. Thanks Dad.


Happy Birthday Dad!! I love you.

2 comments:

The Goodrich's said...

That was such a sweet post, Rachelle. I agree, your dad is quite amazing. All of Justin's "good" qualities I attribute to learning from your dad. Funny about the white shirt tucked into his sweats-that's exactly what he was wearing the first time I came to your house! I didn't dare say anything about it then but we've laughed about it many times since then.
Sorry about all the comments but your posts were great!

Emerson said...

My name is Emerson Allen and I am the Community Outreach Coordinator and host of School Talk w/ Emerson on WBDG Giant 90.9 at Ben Davis High School in Indianapolis Indiana.
It is produced by WBDG students and airs live on Fridays at 7:00am and replays on Sundays at 2:00 p.m.
I saw your post about your dad and I thought it was awesome. We highlight what makes a great dad every month on our show and I will share your post. The show will be posted as a pod cast starting Sunday 11/16 /2008 at www.schooltalk.mypodcast.com .
We are a high school radio station and your words will help us keep the dads involved with their kids.

Recent guests include Indianapolis Colts announcer Bob Lamey, Indiana Fever star Tamika Catchings, former Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson, and current Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard. and many more. The program also highlights school functions, clubs, and activities.