Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder by Richard LouvMy review
rating: 5 of 5 starsI didn't read this book straight through from beginning to end, but I am still giving it 5 stars. I will write a better review after I buy my own copy and can underline stuff that I liked. (I had to return this to my friend that loaned it to me before I could write this review). Basically though I think that all parents should read this book. So much of it just rang true to me. The author writes of many of the social, academic, spiritual and mental benefits of children enjoying nature. Our world has moved indoors to where the electrical outlets are and kids really don't have opportunies to enjoy nature anymore. There are alot of reasons that this has happened... (lack of natural environments, fear, technology, over-structured life styles) but I agree with the author that for ourselves and our children, we need to offer these opportunities again. The author believes a lot of childhood problems (obesity, ADHD, depression and others) have partially been caused by this removal of nature and can partially be treated by a return. This may sound a little preachy or tree huggery, but I guess it is just something that I relate to. Some of my best memories as a child (and an adult) are simply times of unstructured play in rivers, in the wash in Tridell, hiking, camping... or simply in our back yard where we used to dig holes for hours. I also have found throughout my life that nature provides a peaceful retreat that rejuvenates my spirits. I always feel closer to God when I am in nature and I believe that this was His intended purpose. Everywhere I have lived in college and since I've been married I have found a place in nature where I go for stress relief. I have lately remembered many times I went hiking up Logan canyon with my roommates or fishing at 1st Dam and I miss those times.
I have started taking my kids to a nearby creek this year and let them get muddy and watch bugs and build castles and I am amazed at how long they can entertain themselves in this way. A roomful of toys can leave them feeling bored...but they can easily stay busy and happy for hours outside. Sorry for the sermon. I am now stepping off of my soapbox.
View all my reviews.
7 comments:
I couldn't agree with you more! My kids always want to be outside more than anything. Unfortunatly, it happens to be me that hold them back. Sad, huh? I can always think of an excuse to be inside "you have a cough", "my allergies are going haywire", "it too hot right now" It so dumb to not live it up right now when they want to be outside . . . I'll have to check out your book. Thanks for sharing! By the way, I like reading soap boxes, they make life more interesting!
I so agree! Gotta love that creek!
I love it! I totally agree. The cure for boredom for my kids is a little water, a little dirt and some bugs. Then they are happy as can be. They are always asking to go outside. I think the t.v. is probably the reason many kids never make it outside. But if you turn it off then they will go outside and find a wonderful world out there.
What a great post. We've been spending 1-2 hours a day in the wading pool, and it is incredible how entertained and happy all children are, just by being outside. I'll have to look into that book. I like your soccer post too! Truly becoming a soccer mom now!
Ditto on everything you said, Rachelle. Justin and I have had many conversations about this very subject-how much we hate video games and love being outside and hope to create that love in our own kids. Cute pictures too! We can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!
I love your insights Chelle! I am so grateful my Charly loves the outdoors! That books sounds amazing!...I will definitely have to go buy it! I remember Sis. Hinckley saying about raising kids, "Let them play outside and get their feet dirty, wriggling their little toes around in the sand!"
Wow! That creeks looks incredible! I totally agree about nature and kids being a part of it and getting dirty. That is what childhood is all about!!
Post a Comment