Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I can read!!


One of my favorite books is "These is My Words" by Nancy Turner. It is based on the true story of Sarah Agnes Prine....a pioneer woman. While crossing the plains...she finds a wagon full of books. Although she has lost her father and brother and faces enormous difficulty throughout her travels....she manages to bring these books with her. As she reads and gains knowledge about the world and thus herself...her life is changed. She has a passion for learning and reading throughout her life. I feel much the same way....like reading is the way I connect with something larger than myself. As C.S. Lewis said, "We read to know we are not alone." I'm amazed at how much knowledge is out there for the taking. I can sit down at my computer and in 1 minute have endless readings on a certain topic. It is unbelievable and humbling.

Another favorite quote is by Dr. Suess..." The more that you read the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." Well...the whole point of this post is just to document how very excited I am that Lizzy is learning to read. She gets so excited when she sees a sign somewhere and manages to sound it out. It's also fun to see her working hard at something and then really feel proud when she accomplishes it. So yeah for Lizzy and if you haven't read "These is My Words" ... you should.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are awesome quotes--I especially love the C.S. Lewis one. I'm so excited that Lizzy is learning to read, she's such a smartie, and you are an amazing mom (and Aaron is and amazing dad too--just needed to tell you guys that, you really do inspire me to improve myself). LOVE YOU ALL!!!

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

That is so cool. I can only imagine how exciting it is to see your child learn something like that! She is lucky to have you for her teacher.

Tiana said...

Yeah for Lizzy!! I too love reading. It is my sweet escape, and my intellectual boost. Not that trying to figure out where my 2 1/2 year old comes up with the stuff he says isn't challenging ;)

The Goodrich's said...

That's great! I also hope that Molly will share in my love of reading-I know I love talking about books with my mom...