Confession: I talk a lot. Several months ago I made a resolution to talk less... and listen more. I put signs up all over my house to help remind me of my new goal. I realized that I often instructed my kids so quickly that I didn't let them do anything good on their own. I needed to listen more to my husband, my friends and it was also an effort to make my prayers more meaningful....less talking and more listening. Apparently.... I was not making enough progress in this goal because on Friday I woke up to find that I had no voice. I had been getting an increasingly sore throat, but I didn't expect to lose it altogether. I could whisper and that was all. It was quite frustrating. Instead of yelling an instruction to the kids from the other room... I had to get up and walk to them and whisper in their ears. Even whispering was pretty exhausting and so I had to choose to say only the most important things. Now...3 days later... I almost completely have my voice back, but here are a few things I learned during my days of silence.
1) My kids will listen to a whisper more than to a loud voice.
2) When I was whispering...the kids also used softer voices.
3) The things I said while my kids were tantruming...were really not useful anyway.
4) My kids often would say please or thank-you all by themselves...without me reminding them.
5) Silence allows others to think.
6) I have really sweet kids.
7) My friends are the greatest. My friend Kaelene invited Lizzy over for a sleep-over to give me a break and then when I picked her up the next day...she had made dinner for us for the next evening. Kaelene--you are amazing.
14 comments:
Valuable lessons, I think I can learn from. I often forget to give my children the chance to do things with out reminders. I too Talk alot! Thanks for sharing Rachelle. I hope you are feeling better! and a belated happy birthday to Aaron!
maybe i need to lose my voice to learn stuff about parenting...or I can just read your blog! What a great insight. It really made me think about using "soft voices" much more often.
Great lesson, Rachelle. I have also found that whispering gets more attention than yelling. I'm glad you are feeling good and I'm glad you have such great friends that take care of you when you're not. What a blessing.
I like your signs all over! I think it is a really good lesson to learn and one I should take heed of. Although, I must say I really miss the talks I used to have with you!
Thanks for sharing, Rachelle! Although I don't talk too much, I don't listen as well as I should. Sometimes I tune out... I can't remember what I was doing this weekend, but a friend of mine said, "Excuse me, she has to go to the bathroom." That I heard and was embarrassed. : ) You are very insightful.
Hey chelle!
Just yesterday I caught myself talking too much instead of listening. (not with Charly...I don't think she cares that much yet:-)), but with a good friend. That too, is something I am working very hard at! Hey, by the way, cute idea for Aaron's birthday! At first I thought, that is so cute and so very corny!!..but now I want to do it for Jordan! His birthday is next Monday. So how exactly did you do it?
I was going to say the same thing Kim did-- I miss your talking! I love your always right insights on life. It's always nice to hear your take on things.
Rachelle you are so the mom I wish I could be. I don't know how you do it. I wouldn't have gotten anything out of losing my voice. Thanks for always being such a great example.
You are such a great mom Rachelle! Every time I read your blog I think I learn a way that I could become a better person. Thanks for always being such a great example.
Hey,
Remember me? Jill Jensen?
Yes, I will always remember in middle school (can't remember what class), but you were talking so much and oh so very, very fast. I tried to do the same. I couldn't quite catch up to you.
Found you through the good ol' reunion page. I am glad that you are into blogging, as I am, too. Mind if I add you to my list? Check our family website at www.thecutestlittlefamily.com
Keep in touch. When you make it back to Utah we should get together again!
Old blog is glaziergab01@blogspot.com
We missed you at the zoo too...It was fun...we'll have to do it again (Damon and I actually ended up seeing hardly any animals the whole time) let's plan another trip down there! That'd be fun.
Thanks for the wonderful inspiration Rachelle. I really need to talk less and listen more too! I hope you are feeling better!
Such a great lesson! I hope I remember it as time goes on and my little guys get older.
p.s. it was great to meet Aaron on Saturday. Alan and I had a great time with him and wish you could have been out here too!
I had to come back and comment on this post because I have lost my voice too! Scott is out of town this weekend and I think I have been talking (or yelling) too much at the boys. Anyways, I thought about this post and the lesson that I need to learn from it.
Post a Comment