Sometimes parenting carries with it some pretty unreasonable expectations. I don't know when it first happened, but I imagine it was pretty liberating the first time I read an article in Parents magazine and didn't feel compelled to follow it so that I could be a "good mom". Now that I have a few kids and a little more confidence I can laugh. Like when I laughed at this:
This article includes 11 super-healthy lunch-box recipes. Make sure that your child is getting not only a tasty treat but something to keep her going all day long.
We've got: Whole-Grain Hummus Sandwich with Vegetables, Tropical Turkey Spring Rolls and Aloha Chicken with Pineapple Dip.
So... in case you didn't get the memo... PB&J - OUT. Carrot sticks - OUT. Apple slices - BORING.
Pomegranate juice reduced in a sauce pan until syrupy, mixed with mango, cilantro and sprouts and wrapped in blanched cabbage - IN.
Better get to work.
10 comments:
LOL! I love it.
It makes me wonder... have they even met a child?
It's nice to become more confident as a parent, and worry less about things like this that DON'T matter :)
loved your post.
Funny I was at the Dr.'s office Tuesday and read the article about school lunches, and put the magazine away and then realized I didn't read the lunch ideas. I had the thought that they will be way crazy and intricate so I didn't pick it back up. Glad to know my suspicions were right! Olivia LOVES a PB and honey with carrot sticks lunch :)
Yeah I just read something similar. I don't even regularly take that much effort for myself! Let alone for kids who are usually picky anyway!
Hillarious! Let me know if you ever meet a child that eats that way. I'm still looking!
Let me know if your kids eat it!
I LOVE the sarcasm! I laughed and laughed! I love you Rachelle!
Apparently I better get to work because I am not up on the latest practices of being a good mother!!
You have got to be kidding me. Oh man. Maybe we need to start a new food blog. Lunch box recipes!! ;)
You have got to be kidding me. Oh man. Maybe we need to start a new food blog. Lunch box recipes!! ;)
Post a Comment