Life feels slower now.
I don't know if it is Texas, the heat or just that we have fewer family and friends around to keep us busy now, but life feels slower. I'm rarely in a hurry. If Andrew wants to take 20 minutes to put his pants on... that is usually okay. We stroll to the bus stop each morning to drop Lizzy off and then stroll back again in the afternoon. We've been reading lots of stories and making lots of cookies. (Probably too many). We also spend more time doing things like mopping floors, baking bread and planning our garden.
One part of me tells me that I need to fill this time up. I somehow think that if I'm not running about all day, I wasn't productive or that it just wasn't, somehow, enough. As I was thinking about this... a quote came to mind:
"Sometimes we feel that the busier we are, the more important we are—as though our busyness defines our worth. Brothers and sisters, we can spend a lifetime whirling about at a feverish pace, checking off list after list of things that in the end really don’t matter. That we do a lot may not be so important. That we focus the energy of our minds, our hearts, and our souls on those things of eternal significance—that is essential." Joseph B. Wirthlin
And so... I am on a quest to determine what is most worthwhile. What really does matter. What is essential. Eventually piano lessons, PTA, and playdates will squeeze into our lives and those are good things. But... I won't be rushed. And maybe I will simply enjoy, for awhile, this quiet, SLOW time with my boys.
2 comments:
I love that quote by Elder Wirthlin! I have it on my refrigerator right now. I think "busyness" is one of Satan's most powerful tools. If he can keep us so busy with non-eternal things then we won't have time for the really significant eternal things. Crafty guy that Satan dude is. I too am trying to work on this area. You are very wise and such a good mom. Hope you are loving Texas.
MAN. I definitely suffer from a need for busyness. And lazyness. Ironic, but true. Thank you for posting that quote. I need that! I always feel more accomplished when I can cross off things on my to do list.
Post a Comment