Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My Career


So I feel like this is kind of a wierd post....but it is what I've been thinking about lately...so bear with me.

I recently read a very old talk by President Spencer W. Kimball. It was in the New Era and is called The Message, John and Mary, Beginning Life Together. (1975) It is written in kind of an unusual format. It is a new couple that he is speaking to before they are to be married. It is as if the advice he gives to them, he also gives to the reader. There is one part that stood out to me. It said,
"You [Mary] are to become a career woman in the greatest career on earth—that of homemaker, wife, and mother. And so, if you have failed to prepare for motherhood and homemaking when you could, you may make up somewhat by devoting yourself to those subjects now. In your spare time you could now study child psychology and child discipline, the fundamentals of nursing, the art of teaching, particularly how to tell stories and teach children; and you will want to get all the theory as well as the practice now in cooking, sewing, budgeting, and buying."

So I realize that this talk is pretty old-fashioned - I don't necessarily believe that the only education worth pursuing is homemaking of some sort which is kind of implied. (Sewing also may not be essential anymore -or am I just saying that to make myself feel better because I can't sew worth a lick?). But some of the other stuff obviously is still applicable. Motherhood is my primary and most important job and so why shouldn't I do it right?? If I were in any other career, I would study and learn and try to keep up on the latest knowledge in the field. I have read some good parenting books and I put on some pictures of a few of them. I would recommend Love and Logic the most. I'm not saying that I am a good example of implementing Love and Logic, but I think it is a good system. There's good stuff in there. But mostly I wanted to get some feedback. What have you read, studied, learned or gained in some way that has helped you perform better in your role as a mother?? What has worked for you?



12 comments:

Lawson Family said...

This is a very interesting post. I love Parents magazine and their creative and informative ideas that they have. I also like amiericanbaby.com. They send me weekly updates of what to "expect" in my children as far as phsycial, emotional, and social development and some suggestions on how to deal with certian situations. I love knowledge and I find talking to other moms is one of the bests resources out there. I think it is important to do a lot of research and find what fits you and your family. Okay. You probably weren't expecting this long of post...I'll stop now!!

Unknown said...

Rachelle, I loved this post. I've been thinking the same thing lately as I reviewed Sister Beck's October conference talk and realized the importance homemaking skills, and knowledge of children/health, etc. I haven't read much ond child development--apart from weekly updates from babycenter.com. But I've decided that it is important for me to know how to can and sew and have basic homemaking skills. I'm beginning to think that having this knowledge and these skills is really going to make a difference in raising-up children to the Lord.
And thank you for your reading suggestions, it gives me a starting place!

The Nelson Family Smorgasbord said...

Hey Chelle
To be honest, I get overwhelmed by all the "How To's" and "Do This and Don't Do That" materials that are out there. Our parents learned from experience and example and I am trying to cultivate the same learning atmosphere for myself. I too find so much strength, comfort and guidance in the counsel from our Church leaders. I do often look around at others (like you!) and seek advice from those who have "crossed the bridge" before I have. I learn especially from the elderly who have so much wisdom and a keen understanding for those things that we have yet to experience.

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

As a brand new parent, I've learned that my best trick is to talk to other parents that I admire. Ask them how they would handle a situation or if they ever had to deal with the things I am going through. Just talking things out with others moms often bring the best ideas.

Christopher Phillips said...

Awesome post Rachelle, you are so articulate in the way you see things. I love it! And I love this post, as you know I have thinking about how there are certain things that my children can only get from me. That is pressure, and what better way can I know how to handle things, what to expect, than to learn all I can...Listening to advice of others at church, watching and learning from those around us, as well as reading and importantly, taking things one day at a time! Not getting overwhelmed with the importance of our job! That being said, your kids are so lucky to have you as a mom, and that you care enough to truly care.

Emily said...

Actually, that was emily, not christopher who posted...

Jaime said...

Rachelle,
I am a lover of "Love and Logic". I used to teach classes on it in fact. So I get pretty passionate about it. They have such great tactics and teach kids how to handle things in life by learning from their consequences. That's how God teaches us. I just love it, I could go on and on about it and bear my testimony about it. But I did find in one Ensign an article about parenting about a year ago that seemed to go hand in hand with what Love and logic is about. anyway, good thought provoking post.

Wright's said...

sadly I haven't read much on partenting. I did read Babywise and loved it and recommend it to everyone who is having a baby. But that isn't really about parenting. I am embaressed to admit this but a couple of years ago I would watch Super Nanny and I found it quite helpful. Not that my kids had serious behavor problems but it had helpful solutions to simple problems. Other than that I am just going with the flow. I'm afraid with more knowledge I would have higher expectations, and would get drepressed when I didn't live up to it all.

Lindsay said...

I really like the love and logic book, another one that I have started to read that i absolutely love is "how to raise an emotionally intelligent child".

Carolyn Hanson said...

Great post, Rachelle! I think it's great counsel even if it was given long ago. Why wouldn't we want to be the best mothers and homemakers we can? Like Sister Beck said last conference, we should be and are expected to be. Thanks for the book suggestions. I just read Parenting With Love by Glenn Latham. I thought it was really helpful-if only I was consistent in applying its principles! Anyway, thanks again for a great post. You are a great example of a wonderful mother and person!

Carolyn Hanson said...

Oh, and I love the quote by President Hinckley about keeping a journal...I may copy your idea and put it on my blog...Hope you don't mind!

Tawni said...

I loved this post Chelle. I really enjoyed the quote by Pres. Kimball. Sometimes with all the hustle and bustle of being a mom and cooking and cleaning and driving and shopping, it can be so easy to forget what a great and important job we have. I read an article in Feb's Reader's Digest called Words to Inspire. It was about saying the right things to your kids- like instead of "You're the best!" saying "You should be proud of how hard you worked." When they hear the first, they interpret the phrase as "Your job in life is to make me happy." It was an interesting article and made me think about a lot of the ways that I say things. Right now I'm reading The Parenting Breakthrough by Merrilee Browne Boyack. Her focus is about helping your children to become independent and self-reliant and teaching them the value of work and saving money, etc. She's LDS, so she ties in Gospel principles too, which makes it fun. Anyway, just some of what I've been into lately. Thanks for the post!