Monday, March 17, 2008

I Almost Missed It







Sometimes as a parent I forget what it's really all about. A few days ago Lizzy woke up from her nap and I was thinking about all of the things that I hadn't gotten done yet. I wasn't really listening to her talk because I was mentally running through the list and deciding what to do first and what to put off for tomorrow. She snuggled up to me and said.. Mom... let's go out on the deck. I had lots of reasons NOT to go sit on the deck at that moment...but for some reason I said..okay. It was kind of chilly and so we dragged out blankets and we just sat and talked. For some reason it was a good moment for Lizzy and she just talked and talked about all sorts of things. She asked me about what's going to happen when we move in a few months. She found shapes in the clouds. She told me that she wants a garden and that we need to plant trees in our (someday) yard. Then she just snuggled up to me and said in such a sweet voice, "Mom, I love you." It occured to me that in 20 years... these are the times I'm going to miss. I certainly won't be wondering about the laundry I put off or dinner being 30 minutes later then planned. When Andrew woke up, he joined us out on the deck. . Lizzy and Andrew of course played their favorite game....Sleep time. (It is so wierd that they love to play this game since they certainly don't like the real thing.)

9 comments:

The Goodrich's said...

Chelle, that's a good reminder. I am always guilty of that-reading a book instead of reading one to Molly, getting something done around the house instead of spending time with Justin, etc...thanks for the reminder of what it really important!

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

That is a really beautiful little story. I'm sure you are such a fantastic mom, as roommates when we'd do crazy things I'd always think, Rachelle's kids are going to love her!

Carolyn Hanson said...

What a sweet reminder, Rachelle. I often have those same thoughts. Thanks for sharing! And thanks for the google read tip. I've never heard of it!

Emily said...

Always the good reminders, why do us moms try to run around like crazy to keep the house clean and the laundry done? Is it really going to matter if our kids wear clothes with Spagetti-o's down the front? No. But somehow we think it is. It doesn't. And we all need the reminder. Thanks. Today I am going to make sure I find my kids 'porch time'!

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

Thanks for sharing - you are are a really fabulous mother... this was inspiring - I try to make mental snapshots about those little moments but I love how you described yours so eloquently!

Lindsay said...

I think I would have cried if it was my daughter. That is one of the sweetest things.

Michelle said...

gosh, that blog just about made me cry! that is so sweet. I totally know what you mean though. Those moments are absolutely precious. It seems that Damon always said "i want to cuddle on the couch" at some of the most inopportune times....but really...give it another year or less, and those moments will be gone forever. thanks for the reminder to cherish those moments.

Kates said...

I agree! Ellie has started telling me that she loves me at least once a day. I think that what we say to our kids is totally ingrained in their little memories. So you must tell her that you love her, and that is definitely a good thing. She will most likely be a healthy and strong (in all ways) adult because she has you in her life.

Jaime said...

That is so sweet. You are such a great mom. I need to do more things like that too.