Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Perspective

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -- Annie Dillard

I love this quote.  Although I will admit that my first thought was "Great... my life is cleaning toilets."  Because sometimes I feel like that is how I spend my days.  That got me thinking about what it is that I really DO. 

I cook, I clean, I take kids places and then I pick them up.  I talk on the phone, change a diaper and break up an argument.  I make a snack, clean up a spill, pay the bills and play with my kids.  I make a shopping list, bake some bread, read some stories, help with homework and tuck into bed.  That's not too bad.  But it's not how I want to spend my life. 

Instead I want to:

Create a home that is full of love.  Help the little ones in my life to feel special, peaceful and safe.  Create beautiful memories.  Help my kids to become the wonderful people that God intends them to become.   Create an environment where beauty is enjoyed and laughter is plentiful.  Make someone happy.

Perspective is everything.  I'm thinking if my days are really spent doing the things in that second list... then in the end I'll be pretty happy with how I spent my life.  And I guess if that means I have to clean a few toilets along the way..... so be it.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I love this. I just might stick it on my fridge to remind me. Thank you!!!!

Unknown said...

Dear Rachelle, you are so amazing! Thank you for this reminder on perspective. You have such a beautiful way of looking at things and sharing them with us! Thank you, thank you!

Emily said...

Love, Love, LOVE IT!!! And love your words too, it's the truth, and a great perspective on things!!!

Lawson Family said...

Very, very true! I love the quote my Hellen Keller, "I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble."

Michelle said...

well said!