Friday, October 30, 2009

Uninvited Guest

Dear Guilt,

Since the birth of Sam nearly 2 months ago you have been my constant companion.

You have tormented me each time my baby cries because I can't always hold him.

When I spend time soothing him... you remind me that I am not spending enough time with my other kids.

When I have all three kids adequately happy... you whisper to me that my house needs attention...

....and frankly, Guilt, I am growing weary of you.

I am tired of you telling me that I can't supplement with formula, rock my baby to sleep, or let him cry himself to sleep. I don't believe you anymore.

You try to tell me that I should be good at everything that my neighbor/friend/family member is good at and that my family should resemble the perfect family described in my various parenting books. I'M NOT LISTENING ANYMORE.

Considering everything, I am respectfully asking you to leave. I am sure that you will have no problem finding another place of residence. If you have trouble... try watching the news for the latest murderer, molester or adulterer. Perhaps they need a visit. But please stop bothering me and all of the other hard working mothers out there. We're simply doing our best and no one can ask for more than that.

Sincerely,

Rachelle (a liberated mom)

8 comments:

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

Amen, sister!

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

Amen, sister!

Lindsay said...

I soooo needed to hear that. It must be #3. Know that you are not alone. I constantly feel like I am drowning.

Wright's said...

Let me know if this works. I'll tell mine where to go too. Maybe not so nicely.

The Goodrich's said...

You say it best!

Unknown said...

Ah yes, the awful companion guilt that arrives on the heels of that first child, and grows with each one. I too cast off the unwelcome companion and embrace my own attempts at motherhood as wonderful. Thank you for beginning the liberation!

Michelle said...

yeah, I needed that too. Thanks Rachelle

melanie33 said...

i think number three is when everyone has to say goodbye to mr. guilt. something has to give at that point and its better guilt than your sanity!!