Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Mama Said There'd be Days Like This

As noted in the title of my blog I am keeping a collection of happy memories. I decided however that someday I will look back at this and may want to remember what a normal day was like - or even a bad day. So here goes with last weeks shopping trip.

I shop at Aldi's which is a discount supermarket. I only go there every few weeks, so I always get a lot. Before I left, I had the thought, "I wonder if my debit card is in my purse?" (Aldi's only accepts debit cards or cash.) I immediately dismissed the thought because.... where else would my debit card be? While driving there, I had the thought again and believe it or not as I entered the store I thought about it one more time, but quickly forgot about it and began shopping. I filled the cart to the brim and got in the checkout line. I was glad that I was done, because Andrew had been a real pill today - he kept trying to crawl out of the basket and cried loudly when I buckled him in. As I stood in line I thought one more time about the debit card and decided to check. I admit I was not terribly surprised that I could not find my debit card anywhere. My search became more frantic and the kids became more impatient. I backed out of line and continued to search. When I finally decided I was out of options - with a red face I went to the manager and told her what had happened and asked if I could leave my cart. I planned to get some cash and come back. Safeway was nearby. I buckled the kids in and took off for Safeway. I unbuckled kids, went inside, picked up a few groceries and got some cash back. $50 max - not enough. I needed gas anyway... I'll get cash back at the gas station. Uhhh.... this station only lets you pay outside. The kids are hungry anyway..... let's run to McDonalds. (In case you are wondering... McDonalds doesn't do cash back.) I spotted a CVS. I know they do cash back. This time I only picked up one item and told the woman I needed cash back. "Of course" she replied, "but only with a debit card." If I had a debit card I wouldn't be in this mess. I stopped at one more store... this time brave enough to ask before I bought anything if they do cash back. They didn't. For any of you that do shopping with small kids you can imagine that this day was getting a little too long. I finally went back to Aldi's and found my cart which thankfully was still there. I walked through the store quickly putting back about half of my groceries. As I checked out I told the cashier exactly how much cash I had and asked her to stop ringing up items when I reached that amount. To the credit of the cashier - she was so polite and didn't even flinch. She acted like it happened everyday. (Maybe it does.) She only had to put back about 5 items. To put it mildly - I was so relieved when I got home. After I put away all of my groceries - I started to think about where my card was. It took me about 2 minutes to remember where it was. I walked straight to the closet and removed it from my collection of laundry stuff where I'd left it last time I did the laundry. When Aaron got home that night he asked if I'd remembered to get ice cream while I was shopping today. Poor Aaron.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is Jesus is proud of you and Santa and Heavenly Father for not throwing a fit when your day didn't go so well. I'm proud of you too. I'm so sorry, I hate days like this.

The Goodrich's said...

I guess we all need days like that to appreciate the days that flow a little smoother, right? Seriously, though, that sounds awful. I can only drag Molly to like 3 places tops and then she is done (not to mention I'm done too!).

Emily said...

What a day!!! It is days like this where you think, "SERIOUSLY?? How can it be so stinking hard??" This was supposed to be JUST a trip to the store!!
I am glad you recorded this, because, I am sure you will remember this day with 2 little ones, the good days always seems brighter next to the crazy days!!

Michelle said...

girl...I am so sorry that you had such a rough day! I love the way you tell the story..you are so funny..and I love the picture!

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

I love that you posted this - You are hilarious! I really feel your pain, ours was one of those too... I got an early start, but NOWHERE I went was open until 10am, so I spent the whole day driving. Then, I lost my wallet at Target. After searching the store, parking lot and car, I went to Customer Service. The line took forever and I was praying the whole time. I'm desperately told the lady, "I lost my wallet it's pink" and she handed it to me. Hallelujah! I'm so grateful! Thanks for making me laugh and for giving me perspective - maybe my day wasn't so bad after all! ( j/k!! )

Elaine said...

We've all been there--and like they say, all you can do is laugh or cry--so thank goodness you can laugh...or at least laugh about it someday...

Rachel said...

It is days like this that make you wonder how you don't just end up a puddle on the floor! Days like that are no fun! And when husbands come home and you try to explain your horrible no good very bad day to them...it just never seems to do it enough justice! You had me laughing though-not at your bad day but the way you tell it was hilarious!

Tawni said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! What a day! You dwelt with it wonderfully. It's days like this that I always think "Why do I even bother?!" :) It's fun that you recorded it.

Lawson Family said...

Oh... I feel your stress and understand all too well what that must have been like! I hope you were able to eat some chocolate and take a long shower after that day!

Carolyn Hanson said...

Thanks for sharing your horrible story! It's good to know that I'm not alone-I've had a few shopping trips from you-know-where. (There were a couple of months where I didn't take Carter shopping anywhere because he was so awful all the time.) Although, I think yours tops them all. I'm so sorry! It does make you grateful for the good days and it will be funny to look back on down the road. ;)
p.s. I shop at ALDI too sometimes. It's always tricky for me to bag my own groceries with Carter running along the counter until the security guard tells me he can't do that, of course. Then it's really tricky getting him to sit still while I bag!!!