Technology is an amazing thing. My kids lives are so very different than mine was 25 years ago. Here are a few examples of my point:
**A few days ago we were reading Cinderella. I like to pause occasionally through the story and let Lizzy fill in the words. I read, "So the prince decided to have a ball. He sent __________ to all the women in the land." The word is invitations, but Lizzy quickly filled it in with EMAILS. (He probably could have been more effective if he's used the internet...maybe eHarmony or something.)
**If you read this blog regularly you will remember when I wrote about Lizzy taking pictures with the webcam. Well... there's more. A few days ago Lizzy was having "quiet time" again and she began chattering. Lizzy knows that she is supposed to be quiet during "quiet time" but I decided to let it go. I figured that she was talking to an imaginary friend, which she does a lot. However after if continued for awhile, I decided to check it out. As I opened the door, to my surprise I heard another voice. Not an imaginary friend, but a real person that I like to call Mom. That's right.... Lizzy made an internet call during her nap and was having a little chat with Grandma. I jumped in and said... Lizzy what are you doing?? My Mom burst out laughing as she realized that indeed I had not helped her, but was surprised as she was when she received a web call from her 4 year old granddaughter. My Mom told me that she had been telling her, "Grandma - I can't talk long, I'm having quiet time."
** When we visit our friends the Harrison, we stand outside their building and use our cell phone to call and ask them to let us in since their building is locked. Last time, while the phone was ringing and we were waiting, Lizzy looked up and asked, "Mom is it loading?"
** Last but not least - I found that Lizzy had put some pictures of herself up on the desktop. I have no idea how she did that, and she probably doesn't either, but when I asked her she said, Mom, I blogged those pictures.
These last two pictures were taken by Lizzy and really, I think she did a pretty good job. While taking this one of Aaron and I, Lizzy stood next to a couch and Andrew crawled up on the couch and stood behind her and made faces at us. I guess he'd seen that happen often enough.Anyway, the words blogging, email and certainly webcam were not part of my vocabulary as a child, but I guess times have changed. Oh - I'd better go - Lizzy just sent me a text message that she needs help getting her shoes on. Bye
7 comments:
I love this post! I cannot even tell you how many times that I have thought these same sentiments, I was telling Tucker a story from my childhood, to which he responded, "Why didn't you just use your cell phone?"
Classic.
(by the way, I especially love the part of your daughter video chating with your mom!)
Holy cow Rachelle! Lizzie sounds so stinkin' cute. How amazing that she can do all those things by herself!
I love it. My kids have no idea how to use the computer or anything because I won't let them near anything. Grayson has this weird habit of braking almost everything he touches. I always worry that my kids won't understand money because I rarely use cash. They are going to grow up thinking all they need is a credit card.
Well, Lizzy has always been the smart one! Those stories are so funny and make us miss Lizzy even more. Give her a big hug from us!
Lizzy is really very grown-up! Really, was she ever baby-ish? I love your last line... So funny!
We really need to take a trip up to see you. Lizzy reminds me so much of you!!
That seriously made me laugh out loud. So funny! I love that she called your mom all by herself. Man, I am still laughing about her crazy tech talk.
Post a Comment