

He has been the prophet for 13 years, all of my adult life. I have never had the privilege of meeting him, but I have been in a room before and felt the air change when he entered. I have no doubt that he was a prophet of God. I have heard him speak many times, I have testified of his role many times and I have been inspired by his life many times. He exemplified compassion and kindness and optimism. He was such a happy man and always spoke about his blessings. I have a quote from him hanging on my wall. It says "Try a little harder to be a little better." Just looking into his face truly makes me want to be a little better. His jokes at conference, his occasionally cracking voice, and his refusal to use his cane, all made him more endearing and lovable to me. In the picture below he is "knighting" President Eyering just after he was called into the First Presidency.
I also love his wife, Sister Hinckley. There was an article about the two of them awhile ago in the Ensign called "At Home With the Hinckley's". It included some of my favorite Sis. Hinckley quotes like “How did a nice girl like me get into a mess like this?” and “The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.” Their marriage is the real thing... they don't try to pretend that everything was always easy, but they worked and loved and struggled and gained a love for each other that is so powerful. Here is what President Hinckley said in the same article. "We’ve really had a good life. Really we have. We don’t have many regrets in our lives. We’ve made mistakes, of course, here and there, but nothing of any serious consequence. I think we’ve done all right." I am glad that they are together again. I will greatly miss him and his love, his strength, and his testimony. I love you President Hinckley.
6 comments:
what a great post Rachelle. You are a great writer. Thanks for your sweet testimony too!
Rachelle, that is really sweet. I wish I could steal the words right off your page because it fits so perfectly. Thanks for sharing your testimony. President Hinckley is such a wonderful man!
So good to hear your words, it is good to share with others in our loss. As said before me, your eloquent testimony makes me want to re-write my post--and paste your words in!
Rachelle - you made me cry and laugh at the same time! Thank you. I'm grateful for your tribute to Pres. Hinckley and your strong testimony that he was a prophet of God! You said everything so beautifully, with the perfect quotes and pictures!
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I got to yours, through emily's. I hope you don't mind if I put a link on my page. Your family is so cute and you guys look so happy. Thanks for you really great post and testimony of our amazing prophet!
Thanks for you thoughts on Pres. Hinckley.
Post a Comment