Thursday, March 3, 2011

Grand-Dad

My Dad, Lizzy, Grandpa and Grandma
My Grandpa passed away last week.  It's amazing how peaceful such a thing can be, when it is coupled with a knowledge that he lives on and his relationships live on. 

 Someone at the funeral made a comment that the death of loved ones tends to make the veil thin and causes us to readjust our priorties as we consider on the bigger picture of life.  I have pondered more on eternal things this week and wanted to write a few thoughts. 

One thing at the funeral that was addressed by nearly every speaker was the relationship between Grandma and Grandpa.  Marriages seem so flippant now a'days.  It seems to be entirely okay to move from one marriage to the next looking for fulfillment and happiness that your previous spouse couldn't provide.  It's about GETTING something out of your marriage and rarely about what you GIVE. 

But then there are beautiful examples like Grandma and Grandpa who would have been married 70 years this year. They gave and gave to each other.  Grandpa always treated Grandma with tenderness they said.  My uncle said that he can remember speaking disrespectfully to his mother one time,  and has not forgotten it because of the rebuke he received from his Dad.   Grandpa worked long hard hours to provide for his family.  They raised 7 children together.  The first 4 were born while they still lived in, what is now, the garage of their home.  When Grandpa opened up his mechanic shop... Grandma was by his side.  She ordered parts and ran all over town getting what he needed.  They served each other for so many years that it became who they were.  Not kind acts, but kind people.  They grew to be one.  When Grandpa got sick, Grandma didn't leave his side. Infact, she got sick too.  Maybe they were so united that his pains became hers as well. 

Just before the funeral as they closed the casket, Grandma went over to say goodbye to Grandpa.  She said... remember you said that you'd come back to get me soon.  Don't take too long.

Grandma and Grandpa had something real.  Something lasting.  They found happiness not because of what they got from each other, but because of what they gave. 

And in the end, I want what they have.  I'm grateful that they have showed me how to get there.

 I'm grateful for the legacy left by my Grandpa.   
Rae H. Goodrich 1919-2011

6 comments:

Emily said...

Rachelle, what a beautiful tribute. And it sounds like he lived a beautiful life.
Thanks for sharing.

Cameron/Melissa said...

Wow! That is a long time they were married! I was impressed by what you had to say about your grandparents. I hope that I can be married for that long someday.

Elaine said...

Thanks for sharing this moving tribute to your grandpa. He sounds like a wonderful man who lived a long wonderful life.

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

My grandmother passed away a few years ago and I had a very similar revelation as you. What was stressed at her funeral was the wonderful marriage she and my grandpa shared and how that embodied their whole lives into love and service to everyone around them. It is so wonderful that we have such amazing examples to help us improve our own lives. Your Grand dad will be proud to know his posterity appreciates the legacy he left behind.

Nathan and Shanna said...

It was good to see you at the funeral. I don't get to see the "whole" Goodrich bunch together much and it was nice to see them all. I think that that is one of the best funeral's I've ever been to.

jax said...

Thank you so much for sharing that Rachelle! I'm sorry to hear that about your Grandpa. He sounds like an amazing man.