It's kind of cool how the home plate is called home plate. After running the bases and avoiding the other team, if you can just make it home... you are safe. Safe at home.
Today was a heart-wrenching day for me in which I realized that I cannot control every influence that enters into my children's lives. At some point they have to face the big bad scary world. And sometimes the bigness and badness of it seems oh so overwhelming. And the real killer is that I can't stop it. I so desperately want to follow my kids to school and stand nearby to make sure that no one hurts my child... no one tells them they aren't good enough, no lies or evil influences get close to their innocent hearts. But I can't.
What I can do is make my home safe. No matter what they face out there in the world... home must be a place where they can walk in the door and leave it behind because here... they are safe. Loved. Cherished. Valued. Home is where truth can be sorted from lies and one can be refreshed and rejuvenated to face the world again.
"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." Harold B. Lee
Home sweet home.
.jpg)
11 comments:
So true. Your comments always inspire me and I love that!
I agree and want you to know that I love reading your blog! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! Take Care!
Love this post, one of the hardest things I have had to face as a parent. I hate 'releasing' my children into the world/school and all the other people's kids.
One thing I am learning, is kids are made more of rubber than glass... kids are resilient, emotionally, spiritually and physically...we can help them bounce back. Thank heavens we have the gospel~
Thanks for sharing that. :) Sometimes we forget that home is where we should feel the safest and it's our duty to defend ad protect the home from all the evil influences. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you so very much! I have been having the same fears, and come to the same conclusions. My home must be a temple, a refuge, a place where my family can come and enjoy the rest of the Lord. Love you Rachelle and your incredible wisdom!
I so needed this today. Thank you so much for the reminder!
Nice baseball reference.
-Justin
We have had a few of those days. It is easy to despair and think there is nothing that you can do; but, the opposite of despair is hope and that is why I love the teachings of the church. It is days like that when you realize how important things like FHE and family prayer are. If we strengthen our kids at home we are promised they will have the power to resist the world. Anyways, just wanted to say hi and we've been there too. Good luck.
Bryce Carter
You couldn't have said it more eloquently!! You hit it right on...the only thing we DO have control over is the safety and security of our own home!
So insightful and inspiring! Thank you. Lots of love to you and your family.
what a nice post. It's so true, and I was thinking the same thing when Damon came home yesterday from his second day of school and told me that a boy hit him because he wouldn't give him the basketball. It's awful that this is what it comes to, but so great to embark in the wonderful world of school. Your post made me really realize how I should work on our home, and make it a better place. thanks lady. love you
Post a Comment