It's funny how after already doing it twice I still forgot how demanding a newborn is.
I somehow forgot about that way my back is in one big knot for the first 2 months of the child's life, because they cry for reasons that I don't understand (and yes... he cries a lot!)
I somehow forgot how painful it is to feed my baby.
I forgot about that sinking feeling I get when I finally crawl into bed after getting the baby down only to hear a shriek 5 minutes later.
I forgot that my emotions are so out of control that I cry all the time. (I cry everytime I think about how Aaron is returning to his 80+ hour work week tomorrow!)
But then.....
I also didn't quite remember that rush of love that I feel the first time I hold my baby.
I forgot about how everything else becomes unimportant as I set the world aside and focus on nothing but my family.
I forgot the way the atmosphere in our home is changed by the addition of a new little spirit.
I forgot about that phenomenon of staring into my babies eyes and feeling that he understands things about God that I have forgotten.
I forgot that there is nothing sweeter than having a new baby join our family.
11 comments:
He is a wonderful little baby, thanks for letting us meet him yesterday, and good luck with the sleeping/feeding, you're in our prayers.
I love this post! It is so true! And at least for me, all the "good" things I forgot seem so much more important this time around than all those other things. I'll sleep eventually--I don't want to miss any of it because babies grow up way too fast.
Rachelle, so eloquently written! Reading this and listening to 'what a wonderful world' is making me very emotional. I am so grateful for your beautiful insights into motherhood. we love you guys!
Yay for updating your blog! We already love little Sammy:)
Rachelle, I did not know you were even expecting! I must be crazy, I guess. Anyway, congratulations! He is beautiful. And good luck!
Rachelle, I know exactly what you mean. Good luck with everything. I tried so hard to work in a time to come see you, sorry it didn't happen. Next time we come out, we'll get together for sure! Love that little baby for me!
OK, I am obviously hormonal too because that post just made me bawl!!! I would be happy to come over some time to try and help out with Aaron gone, but I'm not sure if it would be more stressful to have 2 newborns together! Let me know.
Amen! You made me cry! You are such an amazing mother and example. Sam is so blessed to have been sent to such a wonderful family! We love you guys!
They're watering because I got lotion in my eyes this morning... That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Magical post. I wish you energy!
Hope you don't think that I think you are struggling and that I can come and "save the day"! Ha!!! I feel like a complete idiot most of the time! I just think to myself everyday "How do people do this when they have other kids to take care of too?!?" So if you think an extra pair of incompetent hands or just some moral support would help, seriously, give me a call. I am just sitting at home anyway!
I have "forgotten" every single time too! About all the ork, the adjustment, and how all the special little moments make it all worth it!
Post a Comment