
During the last year of medical school, students choose a specialty. Aaron has decided on Radiation Oncology (which by the way is very different from Radiology). He then applied to about 1000 Radiation Oncology programs. (Actually about 40). Then we wait... for interview offers. Aaron has interviewed at 4 programs and will interview at 10 more in the next few months. At the end of interviews.... we will rank all of the programs that he interviewed at... from 1 to 14... or how many ever interviews he ends up with. Each of the programs will also rank all of the students that they interviewed. It then goes into a giant national database. Someday in March... we will receive our MATCH. The system will match us up with the program that was the best match. Some students will get their 1st choice and some with get their 14th and some don't match at all. I can't even imagine that day when you all gather together and receive the envelope that tells you where you will live, work, and raise your family for the next 4 years. I think the whole thing is crazy. To shake things up a little more... Aaron's specialty also requires a transition year which is completed a year prior to residency. The interview and match process is completely separate. We hope to do our transition year in Utah. So that's it. Any questions? Good.
These are where Aaron has interviews:
Michigan (2: Ann Arbor and Royal Oak)
California
Iowa
Utah
Colorado
Ohio (3: Cleveland, Cincinnatti and Columbus)
Texas (3: San Antonio, Houston and Dallas)
Minnesota
Oregon
Wisconsin
Make a guess at where we'll end up and winner gets their favorite candy bar. Unless of course there are 2 of you that guess right... then you'll have to share a candy bar because hey.... we're poor students.
14 comments:
Hmm, I'll guess Wisconsin because to me that would be the most crazy adventure! When do you find out??
We definitely vote for San Antonio!! :) But Cincinnati would be a close second since that's where I grew up! Has he already interviewed in San Antonio? If not, have him get in touch with us while he is here (if he has any spare time!)
Well, we probably vote for UTAH! Just kidding...sort of...we'd love for you to go somewhere cool so that we could come and visit since we didn't get a chance when you were in Maryland!
California.... We like California and you will too.
I guess Oregon (mostly because that will be closer to where we will probably end up, which would be fun!). But I just have to ask...Isn't Cincinnati in Ohio?
What, you don't want to come back to the east coast?? WHere in California?
I have no idea! I don't want you to leave so I hope it's Utah. I'm going to guess Iowa for fun though :)
Rachelle,
Hey! I found your blog through the Lawson's. They were good friends of ours in dental school. Small world. Your family is adorable!
We are doing a 4 year oral surgery residency program in Iowa, so we know all about the MATCH. It's crazy. Good luck with all of the interviews. That is kind of a hectic time. Hope things go well.
Where in Iowa is Aaron's interview? That would be fun if you guys ended up here. :)
Andrea (Burgess) Ludwig
wheres the love. Come on Georgia is awesome. I don't know if they have your residency but you can come anyways.
Bryce
I'll guess Colorado because no one else has. I used to live there and it is goregous. Good luck, this is really exciting!!
It seems like yesterday that we were in your place. What's your first choice. Good Luck!
I vote for North Carolina. Any of the schools there...Oh wait, what do you mean that isn't a choice??? Dang.
(a girl can dream, right?)
i remember all this too well.
happy match day in march!
It's funny, but a short while back, I thought I saw someone that looked just like Aaron, but I quickly dismissed it thinking that I was surely mistaken. Maybe not.
We live in the medical center area. If you match up with San Anotnio, we can help get you in the right ward. :)
Post a Comment