Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Joseph B. Wirthlin 1917-2008


I just learned that Elder Wirthlin passed away last night. I love Elder Wirthlin. I always look forward to his messages at conference. He just radiates with Christlike love. It is funny to think that I feel so personally connected to someone whom I have never met. But he seemed to always hit on things that had personal significance or that were particularly meaningful to me. I have spent some time this afternoon reviewing some of my favorite talks by Elder Wirthlin. These are all quotes that have had special meaning to me and that have helped me in different times of my life:

The abundant life is a spiritual life. Too many sit at the banquet table of the gospel of Jesus Christ and merely nibble at the feast placed before them. They go through the motions—attending their meetings perhaps, glancing at scriptures, repeating familiar prayers—but their hearts are far away. If they are honest, they would admit to being more interested in the latest neighborhood rumors, stock market trends, and their favorite TV show than they are in the supernal wonders and sweet ministerings of the Holy Spirit.


"The most treasured and sacred moments of our lives are those filled with the spirit of love. The greater the measure of our love, the greater is our joy. In the end, the development of such love is the true measure of success in life."
Love is the beginning, the middle, and the end of the pathway of discipleship. It comforts, counsels, cures, and consoles. It leads us through valleys of darkness and through the veil of death. In the end love leads us to the glory and grandeur of eternal life.
Sometimes we feel that the busier we are, the more important we are—as though our busyness defines our worth. Brothers and sisters, we can spend a lifetime whirling about at a feverish pace, checking off list after list of things that in the end really don’t matter.
That we do a lot may not be so important. That we focus the energy of our minds, our hearts, and our souls on those things of eternal significance—that is essential.
Kindness is the essence of greatness and the fundamental characteristic of the noblest men and women I have known. Kindness is a passport that opens doors and fashions friends. It softens hearts and molds relationships that can last lifetimes.
May I learn to see life as he has seen it and love people as he has loved them. Then... I would consider myself successful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello

Rachel said...

Thanks for posting that Rachelle! He was an amazing man, one of my favorites to listen to! I loved his last conference talk. I love the quotes you posted of his. I might have to use some of them!

Rachel said...

Oh, I know! He was such a cute old man!!! I'm so sad! I loved his talks so much!