I never got any chance to practice.
And really is that fair?? Even in the Olympics they get a few times to warm-up and practice before their score really counts.
But I was just thrown right in and had to start from scratch and poor Lizzy has had to endure being my guinea pig.
She was with me while I figured out what in the world to do with a newborn. 
And then together we stumbled through the toddler years. 
But now we're at the stage called preschooler and I haven't a clue how to parent a preschooler.... especially such a stubborn, emotional, independent and fun-loving preschooler. 
I found a talk recently written by Mollie Sorensen, a mother of eleven. Yes eleven. She writes about what she is doing differently in raising child number 11 than she did with number 1. I figured that I'd like to learn these lessons sooner than later and spare Lizzy as much of my learning process as possible.
It's called Love, Discipline and Tender Hearts. Reading it gave me hope and some great new perspectives on parenting. Amidst all of the psychology/parenting/behavior management books I've read .... the greatest truth was contained in this talk. Never Underestimate the Power of Love. Sometimes I forget that the greatest gift I can ever give to my kids is my Love. If I really really love them and everything I do is motivated by my love then it seems unlikely that they'll end up on Maury Povich talking about how their Mom ruined their lives.
But you never know....
11 comments:
Boy, it's an adventure isn't it!?! And you are right, it is different with each child, so it doesn't matter if you finally get Lizzy figured out--it will all be different with Andrew. I'm entering the "parent of a middle schooler" stage, and I'm not sure who is more scared for school to start--Sarah or I!
Thanks for this... I have been thinking a lot about parenting lately. My eight year old is working on increasing his negativity around the house, while I am working on decreasing it. I feel like I am getting a taste of the teenage years a little early. AND I DON'T LIKE IT. So I will read this talk and hope to glean something from it!
This sounds a little too familiar to me! But I sure am glad that I am not the only one with a dramatic, independent, and emotional little girl. At least I am in good company!
Thanks Rachelle! That article was great - I hope to remember the principles the author shared for when Jozie hits that more independent stage.
That is an awesome talk! Thanks for sharing it!
Rachelle- I love this post because it's so, so true! Sometimes I feel bad for learning on Caleb yet I have hopes that he'll forgive the mistakes I make (especially when he becomes a parent and realizes just how confusing and hard it can be!!).
What a great post. I can't wait to read that article. So true though. When I get frustrated with Zach (my oldest), sometimes he says to me "Mommy, why are you so angry". Ahh, talk about humbling!!! You have such a darling little girl. Looks like you are doing everything right!
Rachelle - you express what I feel so often! Thanks for your humor, insight and I LOVE this talk. I feel so uplifted right now. : )
I'm sure you are a WONDERFUL mother! I have no doubt. It is a trip though, isn't it!
Rachelle, talk about the most picture perfect little newborn that Lizzy was!! I love that picture! Last night was the first time I officially took disciplinary action on Charly...the whole separating her from the situation and putting her in "time out"...for 2 1/2 seconds until she calmed down, said "sorry" and gave me a hug. It was both funny and sad to have just adlib my amateur parenting skills and pretend like I know what I'm doing when really inside I'm frequently asking myself, "Am I doing this right?"
Rachelle, thanks for sharing so many amazing things. I feel like that so often, I was actually just thinking that this morning. I get so worried about doing so many things with my kids or teaching them all the important things, that sometimes I forget that they really just need me to express/show my love and more often than not, just take the time sit down and listen to them. You are an amazing mom with two amazing kids. Thanks for sharing that talk, I know it will help me!
Post a Comment