Monday, July 28, 2008

About Blogging

"We don't describe the world we see - we see the world we describe. Language, as the single most fundamental force of the human intellect, has the power to alter perception. We think in words, and these words have the power to limit us or to set us free; they can frighten us or evoke our courage. Similarly, the stories we tell ourselves about our own lives eventually become our lives."
Dan Baker Ph.D.

4 comments:

Carter Family said...

It's so true! I think it's interesting to give kids a camera, or a journal and see what they notice. So many times perspective can be limited. This quote also makes me think how powerful words can be, words like "beautiful", or "love". A lot of times people say that things are indescribable, but I think that if used in the right way, words like this have a deep meaning that is too often overlooked. Good quote!

Amy

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

Thoughtful & thought provoking! I sometimes have to make a conscious decision to tell certain stories by highlighting the positive, and to forget unnecessary minor details- it really makes all the difference! Like me & my Aaron's : ) "how we met story" - I used to always include the part where he wanted to date my friend first... It wasn't very uplifting even though I wasn't interested at the time - lol! The important thing is that we had many confirming experiences that led us to chose each other!

melanie33 said...

I love that quote, I think I will have to steal it for my collection.
I think as important as it is to focus on the good, it's also important to focus on what's real. The trick isn't loving the easy parts of life, but learning to love the hard parts as well.

Lori said...

Thanks for your blog! It's great to see what you guys are up to - and your kids are super cute!