Thursday, May 16, 2013

Leave it to Beaver

 
 
I just finished watching the first season of Leave it to Beaver on Netflix.  I starting watching it because it was the perfect length of one nursing session with Grayson.  I kept watching it because June and Ward are a couple of great parents and I learned a lot from them.  Life is amazingly different today.  I think I would have liked to raise a family in the 50's.  Because...
 
1.  Wally and Beaver would often leave on Saturday morning and spend the whole day somewhere around the neighborhood and their parents had no idea what they were up to.  No one worried about kidnappers, or perverts or that they wouldn't approve of the video games being played at their friends house.  The whole neighborhood watched out for each others kids. 
 
2.  Ward handled all discipline.  June never punished the boys.  Ever.
 
3.  If the boys needed help with homework Ward handled that to. 
 
4.  School was simple.  They walked to and from school alone.  They went, learned, then came home.  No fundraisers, AR programs, spirit nights, science nights, anti-bullying programs, educational websites to keep track of, or teacher websites to follow.  No folders to sign or conduct marks to keep track of either. 
 
But I am also glad to be raising a family today because on days when I am really exhausted there is always Pizza Hut... so I guess it evens out.
 
 


1 comment:

Omni said...

Amen! Sometimes I think I was born at the wrong time. I'd definitely pass on pizza hut to have a simpler life. I love Leave it to Beaver.