Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Unexpected

Before moving to Texas, we got a lot of friendly advice and information about our new state.  We were prepared for the extreme heat and humidity.  (I've almost stopped showering altogether because really... what's the point?)  We heard that there was great food to eat (anyone want some barbeque) and many people talked of the wonderful southern hospitality.  I love that part.  People are so friendly here. 

But here are a few things that were not expected:

#1Bugs.  We opened our blinds one morning to find this little guy popping in to say hello.  He's not the first of this we've seen, but don't worry... totally harmless.  (P.S. this was one night of work on the part of our spider friend.  We'd used that door many times that evening before and it was clear from spider webs. 

I will spare you picture of the cockroaches in our shed, mostly because I have never ventured out to see
them and don't have any plans to.  We try not to talk about it much since Lizzy now freaks out whenever she sees a spider.


 
#2 Rain.  Our street flooded the 2nd week that we were here.  Besides that I freaked out and called to buy flood insurance on the spot... we actually have enjoyed the rain.  The kids love playing in it... it cools things down and I haven't watered the lawn once since we moved.  Andrew actually cried a few days later when it rained hard, but our street didn't flood.  Oh... how he wants another flood.

#3 Wildlife.  Considering the very small amount of time we have spent at parks, we have already seen snakes, rabbits, squirrels and we even had a pet turtle for a few days that we rescued from a busy street.  We named him Crush.

6 comments:

Tiana said...

I think that spider is going to give me nightmares. You just convinced me to never move to Texas. ;) I'm with Lizzie on this one.

I hope you are settling down and making lots of good friends there.

Lindsay said...

i'm impressed...

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

Holy cow. That is one heck of a spider. We definately don't get those, but we've had a black widow in our mailbox twice.
I'm glad you are enjoying your move so far, don't worry you get used to the humidity. You'll go back to Utah and feel like you are shriveling up and dying because it is so dry.

melanie33 said...

Spiders like that should not exist, and if they must they should exist in the remote areas of the rain forest and not in someone's humid back yard!
Glad to hear you are surviving the heat!
My brother Jon moved to texas last year and they just love it completely. okay, well almost completely... that heat really sucks!

Krista said...

Oh Texas wildlife and bugs. Pretty sure it's just not something I will ever get used to!! Bleh!

jax said...

Sorry Rachelle-your post made me gag...and shudder. I was worried you would show more pictures of the spiders and other insects there! Glad they are harmless!

So funny that Andrew loved the flooding so much! Just like a pool in your own front yard, right?

Love the name of your turtle!

Hope you guys are adjusting well down there!