Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Wait is Over


We finally had our match day and I'm afraid no one gets a candy bar. The closest is the Dial's who guessed San Antonio. That's right we are headed to HOUSTON, TEXAS. The other half of our good news is that we matched for our transition year here in UTAH so we won't have to pack up again for another year or so. Yippee!!!!



This has been an intense day. I never opened a mission call... but I attended a few of the events and this has to be just as intense... or more so... since it's for twice as long and effects Aaron's whole career and our 2 (3 by then) kids. It's crazy.
I confess that I'm a little nervous about living in such a HUGE city and in such intense heat and humidity, but we found it impossible to turn down the chance to go to such an incredible cancer hospital (MD Anderson). (I have to brag about Aaron a little.) I'm pretty dang proud of him. We feel like he'll have great opportunities there that he couldn't have had anywhere else. We really appreciate the love and support and good wishes from ya'll. (Maybe I'll have to live there for awhile before I can legitimately use the term ya'll.)

27 comments:

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

I've checked your blog at least 5 times today waiting for your good news. That is very exciting. You will have so much fun. Congrats Aaron!

Carolyn Hanson said...

Wow, congratulations!!! Such a huge day. Jeff matched at Mayo so we're headed to Rochester this summer... It all feels a little surreal! Best of luck to you guys!!!

Rachel said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is great news! We know a few people who have either lived close to Houston or are living near by and they love it there. And hey, as far as heat goes...my opinion is once it is over 100 degrees it is just plain hot. You just won't have to spray yourself with a spray bottle. The humidity will do it for you! Way to go Aaron, it sounds like an awesome opportunity! We are so glad you matched a great hospital!! Love you guys!

Elaine said...

Congratulations! We are so happy for you! Life is such an adventure!

Lindsay said...

That's fantastic. How perfect to be able to stay here with family around to help with the new one before you head off. How long in Texas?

Russ and Emily Christman said...

That is wonderful. Congrats! There are so many huge things happening in your life right now.

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

That is FABULOUS news! Congratulations to Aaron, you and your entire growing family! We are soo happy for you. Texas sounds like fun!

Brandi Schall said...

Congrats again! I'll be sad to see you go, but I'm so excited for you guys--and stoked that Aaron gets to go to the best place possible. Hope you had a nice day celebrating!

The Goodrich's said...

Congrats! We are all proud of Aaron and figure with all the hard work he puts in, he deserves to go to his number one choice. And of course, we are excited that you'll be staying in Utah for another year...

Justin says that you better not turn into "Texans" who think that they are better than everybody else. :)

erin and shaun said...

Congrats Aaron! All the hard work paid off! We're excited for your new adventure but we can't lie: we're probably more excited that we get to keep you around for another year!

Emily said...

Hurray, Hurray, Hurray! What great news that you were able to match, and great opportunities ahead! We are so excited for you and your family in this next step of life! What an adventure, and Texas is going to be lucky to have such a great family as yours!

Mamu Lou said...

Congrats you guys! That is very exciting news (and even better that you don't have move while pregnant!!). Don't worry about the humidity, you adjust after awhile (except in the summer) and then Utah will just feel too dry when you visit ;).

Michelle said...

congrats to you and your fam! that is so exciting, and what a great job and opportunity for you guys. I'm glad you don't have to move for a while....love you!

Krista said...

Well, I guess Houston will have to be close enough. Only a couple short hours away :)

Congrats!!!!!!! So many exciting things going on for you guys!

Jaime said...

Congrats and i am excited you will stay in UT for another year. It is so great to know where you will be. I wish we knew where Jon's job will be but we'll know in the near future.

Tawni said...

Woohoo!!! Texas is awesome! Dave still has dreams of moving us there! :) We're excited for you guys! I love the pictures- Aaron looks so happy. Way to go!!!

Rachel said...

I had no idea what you meant by "matching" but now I get it! That is really exciting!!! Congrats and I'm sure you'll love it!

Lawson Family said...

Yeah! Congrats!! You'll love the affordable housing out there and you adjust to the heat, especially the short dry winters! Loved that!

Woodbury Family said...

Congratulations to you guys!! What great news!! You have earned it all that good stuff!!

Lawson Family said...

We didn't live in Texas, but Oklahoma which is right next door and similar housing markets and weather.

Kenny said...

H-O-U-S-T-O-N...that's sure a funny way to spell Washington, DC.

Congrats!

kaelene said...

Congrats to you and your amazing family. We're so excited for you. Isn't it nice to finally know where you will be heading?

Anonymous said...

That is so exciting. Congratulations to Aaron for getting his #1 choice. All that hard work is paying off. What a great adventure you and your cute family are going to have.

jacey said...

We are so happy for you and look forward to hearing more about it via bloggerspace.

Abs said...

Congrats to you guys and for getting a transition year in UT. That's great news. I may have missed it, but what kind of Doctor is Aaron going to be?

So sad about our Aggies, but it was a great game and they put up a good fight. Maybe next year...

P.S. I told Justin where he matched and he said, "that's a big cancer place." I guess doctor's are aware of stuff like that.

Scott and Heather said...

Congratulations. MD Anderson, wow! Must admit we're a little disappointed you won't be moving to IA City, but very proud indeed.

treen said...

Congrats on the placement! Let me know if you want any specifics answered about Houston and don't know anyone from there - my brother and a friend both live in the Houston area (SugarLand and Katy), and I can give you their emails or something.

And remember - DC may not FEEL like one of the biggest metropolitan areas in the country, but it actually is. Houston will be a piece of cake after managing DC.