Sunday, November 11, 2007

In honor of Veterans Day

We have had a lot of remarkable experiences while here in Maryland. Aaron and I agreed, however, that the most memorable one has been our trip to Gettysburg. We went with our own personal tour guide, Chris Brewer, who is a member of our ward and lives in our building.




He is a historian who specializes in American history. He gives a lot of speeches, writes books, he has helped make several films (including the movie "Gettysburg") and he gives this tour to a lot of famous people. (Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt, Reese Witherspoon and many more). His fees are $1500 a day, plus $50 a person. We, however had this remarkable experience free of charge. (He is extremely generous in his service to others. I also have to say that for the past 16 years, he has had a special calling of being "Santa" at the temple in Washington DC. I will probably have to write some more about him later because he is probably the most amazing person I have ever met) He is an incredible story teller and at each stop we learned amazing and moving stories from this great battle.


This (on the left) is the field where Picketts Charge happened. In less than an hour, nearly 6,000 men died on this field. More than 50,000 men died in 3 days of battle.

Today we honor and remember all of those who
have sacrificed all for our great country.

6 comments:

Wright's said...

wow, what an amazing experience. Jared will be so jealous, he LOVES American history. We've been to Gettysburg but I forgot the details when I had kids.

Carolyn Hanson said...

I'm so glad you've joined the blogging world! It's so great to see what you're up to. It looks like you are having incredible experiences. And your family is getting so big! Cute kids! We'll be in touch!
carolyn

Tawni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tawni said...

I love the site!!! Way to go Browns- so fun to see all the pictures of the kids. Glad to see all the fun adventures you are having out there! We miss you though. Take care!

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

Are you trying to say that he gave a better tour than me??? Just kidding! I love the pictures and I really love the quotes from your kids. Do you sing funny songs with Lizzy? I bet she'd like it.

Michelle said...

What a great blog! And what a great opportunity to go to Gettysburg with Bro. Brewer. He really is one amazing guy. So glad you're blogging!